Tired of Reading? Please listen to the blog
Getting a medical seat is tough; sustenance is even harder.Due to various reasons, medical students decide to quit their medical education and take a different track whichever is feasible and possible for them.
The pathway to becoming a doctor is not easy. Students should have patience, perseverance, and hard work to achieve what they are desired for. How hard the situation maybe, medical students should not quit their dream in midway. Instead of quitting, why don’t you consider transferring to another medical school?
Transfer from one medical school to another can be challenging, but it is not impossible either. The process involves a lot of formalities and procedures. However, it is worth doing all these instead of quitting your dream.The result will be fruitful to you as well as to your community.
Reasons Behind Medical Student Transfers
According to USNews, a large percentage of transfer admission requests are placed from those entering the third year of their medical education. It is interesting to learn why most of the transfers between medical schools happen just before the beginning of the third year.
The first thought in this argument may be traced to the curriculum structure of medical education all over the world. While in the first two years, medical schools mainly focus on imparting foundation knowledge and skills in students.When they come to their third year, they will start the actual clinical study.
The student will get to observe and experience the pros and cons of the medical college and its overall structure. Based on their evaluation, they can predict their medical career and decide to move on. However, there are manyreasons that make medical students discontinue or transfer. The following could be a few:
- Change of location
- Poor education qualities
- Inadequate learning facilities like laboratories, qualified faculties, and so on
- Unhappiness over the academic standards or the pedagogy in the current medical school
- Permanent closure of the medical school
However, not all reasons can be considered as valid. Medical universities demand valid reasonsas they are in the midst of following the regulations set by the respective medical councils besides their own.Students should have a compelling reason to shift from one medical school to another.
Besides, if a transfer applicant has ever been the recipient of any disciplinary action by their post-secondary institution for violations or unacceptable academic performance likesuspension, dismissal, or disqualification, their application cannot be considered.Therefore, they should do a lot of soul-searching before taking the decision.
Are you in the midst of any of the above crises? Or,do you know someone who is facing this dilemma? Do you fear that this is the end of your medical education? It need not be.
Don’t Quit Your Medical Dream for Any Reason
You have a long way to go in the medical industry. Quitting would not be the only solution. You have to persevere to achieve your dream of becoming a doctor at any circumstance or any cost. Your journey so far in the present medical school may be uneventful, but that doesn’t put a question mark on your competencies.
Also, remember that you can only be an advocate for changes you want to see in your medical college, but you cannot accomplish that alone. For other things that are not in your control, the best option is to seek a transfer admission and be back on track.
Medical School Transfer Application and Other Formalities
There are specific rules set by medical schools for transfer admissions, which at times can be a little time-taking. But, with the increasing number of transfer applicants, more medical schools are coming forward with relaxed norms so that the sanctity of medical education remains high.
As I said earlier, the transfer admission is a multiple-step process and usually takes a few weeks to months. The application processof medical school transfer requires the following:
- Completed Transfer Application Form with Application Fee
- Copies of Transcripts (For Preliminary Evaluation)
- Original Transcripts (Upon Joining)
- Letter/s of Recommendation (LoR)
- Letter Describing the Reason for Transfer
- Supplemental Information (May Be Required)
- Transfer Credential Evaluation
Factors to Be Considered Before Applying for Medical School Transfer
It is recommended that the transfer student does his/her homework before proceeding with the transfer admission.So, what are the factors that one has to be mindful of before filing a school transfer application?
- If the reason is purely academic, try to understand the perspective of fellow students that might help to align your thoughts in the right direction.
- Study extensively about the institutions that you are going to apply, whether it is a goodfit for you or not.
- List down your reasons for transfer and ensure that the medical school you are transferring to doesn’thave the same limitations.
- Check whether your grades are up to the par.
- Review your application to confirm whether it articulates the reason for your transfer between medical schools.
- Make the checklist oftransfer application requirements and confirm whether you have all.
- Above all, you must ensure whether your entire credit is transferrable or only partially. Each university or medical school has its own rules in this regard. In your best interest, I suggest you transfer to a medical school where you will be allowed to carry forward your credits. This will help boost your confidence and morale.
You would be happy to know that Texila American University (TAU) has simplified the transferring process. TAU is a premier medical university in Guyana that offers a medical program in Guyana and greets transfer applicants with great commitment. It has the most competent curriculum and world-class infrastructure to deliver quality medical education with hands-on experience.
TAU has launched a transfer program with a vision to provide a solid platform for medical students who wish to apply for transfer. By honoring your advanced standing transfer subjected to conditions, TAU recognizes the arduous work and precious time spent by the transfer student in his/her previous medical school.
A transfer student is accepted solely at the discretion of TAU based on their prior course work. The certified credits obtained from another institution can be recognized in one of two ways:
- Exemption from individual modules within or from the whole or part of a program
- Transfer of credit and marks in substitution for modules within a program
How to Apply for Transfer Program at TAU
To apply for the transfer program, the transfer applicant must:
- Fill out an online school transfer application and submit.
- After successful registration in the portal, submit additional documents required for the transfer.
- Upon clearing the above process, the transfer student will be enrolled in the program once the documents are reviewed and accepted.
Check the Texila American University’s transfer procedure
TAU is at the forefront of creating health professionals par excellence who discharge their duties with great compassion. It provides an ideal global learning experience to students through a collaborative network of hospitals around the world.By implementing a world-classeducation combined with unparalleled practical knowledge, leaves no stones unturned in its pedagogy.
Applying to medical school as a transfer student can be intimidating. However, TAUmakes it easier for the convenience of students. Resume your dream of becoming a doctor with TAU!