Tired of Reading? Please listen to the blog
What are premedical studies?
Premedical programs, also called premed, are programs that students pursue after completion of high school before they enter the medical field for an MBBS or MD degree. Premed programs provide a foundation in the basic science subjects so that students are well prepared prior to enter medical school. Premedical program is a North American concept and, in many Universities, leads to an undergraduate degree.
The premedical programs will prepare you for your days at medical schools. Pre-med also helps students gain an idea of how medical school requires plenty of dedication. Let us look more into what the premed program is, shall we?
The premed program covers all pre-requisite courses for medical schools in three semesters. These pre-requisite courses include college-level science and other advance science subjects, some of these courses are
- Anatomy & Physiology
- Communication skills
- General Chemistry
- Medical Terminology
- Organic Chemistry
- Statistics & Pre-Calculus
Top Caribbean medical schools
Caribbean medical schools are one of the best choices for students who are looking to study abroad. These medical schools offer a benefit that no other foreign medical schools can, a US medical curriculum. This benefit then trickles down to the use of being able to practice in the US after graduation.
You will have to complete your basic science curriculum in the Caribbean. Then you can move to a teaching hospital in the US and continue your clinical sciences there. This feature provides you with the benefit of US medical practice experience.
Did you know that Caribbean medical schools cost less than some private medical schools in India? Yes, that is true. Some private medical colleges in India will charge you upwards of 40,00,000 INR per year.
Caribbean medical schools also offer premed programs to students. When the quality of education is on par with the international standards, it is reasonable to invest your time and hard-earned money in a university that you would enjoy pursuing MBBS.
Texila American University, one among the best Caribbean medical schools, provides a premed program that is tailored to highly motivated students who have just graduated high school.
The premed program is also a choice of people who do not have the necessary pre-requisites to join an MD program.
How to get into a premed courses
If you are looking to join a premed program, read on to learn about the admission requirements. There are several sets of conditions that you can use to get into premedical courses. The eligibility criteria are listed below.
- You will need to pass the Caribbean Secondary Education Certificate (CSEC) ordinary levels (General Proficiency Grades I–III), GCE O levels, or BGCSE (Grades A–C). The grades are required in Biology, Chemistry, English, Mathematics, physics, and other elective subjects.
- You should have passed a matriculation examination with good grades and a focus on science, mathematics, and English.
- WAE/NECO needs five O-level credit passes in Biology, Chemistry, English, Mathematics, and Physics.
- US high school diploma with a strong GPA and SAT scores with Mathematics, Science, and English.
- A pass in any secondary school examination (equivalent to 12 years of education) with an aggregate of a minimum of 50% with a focus on Science, Mathematics, and English.
You can also afford a credit transfer if you have completed CAPE Unit I or II exams. You will need grades I to III. If you fulfill the above requirements, you will get a 30-credit transfer from the university.
You will also get an advance standing to premed second semester. This will fast-track your journey to getting a medical degree.
How Can I apply for Premedical Programs?
The process is more straightforward than ever. All you have to do is check if you meet the admission requirements. If you meet those requirements, head to the university of your choice and begin the admission process. You need to submit all the required documents, complete the interview, and then wait for your results.
What are the documents required to enroll in a Premed program?
You will need a color photocopy of your passport and two passport photos. You will need an official transcript from all the institutions you have attended. Up next on the list, you will have to present a 1500-word essay detailing why you dream of becoming a physician. You will also have to submit two letters of recommendation, with a minimum of one from an academic source.
Reasons to Choose Texila American University for your Pre-med Program
Here is a list of reasons to make Texila American University your number one choice.
- It is a renowned international medical college in the country of Guyana and one of the best schools in the Caribbean.
- It follows the US Medical Curriculum and is one of the fastest-growing medical colleges in Guyana.
- It is accredited and recognized by various international organizations.
- It offers an MD program to do your basic sciences in Guyana and continue your clinical courses in the US.
- It has top-of-the-line faculty and state-of-the-art infrastructure.
- It also offers hostel facilities for international students who wish to study MBBS abroad on its campus for ease of life at the university.
- It also has a high-tech digital library to facilitate learning.
- It has numerous affiliated hospitals in Guyana and around the world.
So, what are you waiting for? We believe that the premed program prepares you mentally and educationally to become a doctor. It also provides you a great deal of awareness about life during medical school.
Going through a premed program will allow you to evaluate your decision to become a medical professional. It also provides you with an advantage against non-pre-med students during your medical school admissions.