The Pre-Medical program is designed for highly motivated high school students who have decided to pursue a medical career, and others who do not have the necessary pre-requisite courses to be qualified for the M.D. program. The program college level science and other required courses that enables the student to accelerate his/her career plans by offering all medical pre-requisite courses in a span of three semesters in 18 months.
Students with undergraduate degrees can also take individual courses in this program to complete their basic requirements or improve their grades to qualify for the M.D. program.
Emphasis is given to those topics within each discipline which are of primary significance to a medical education. The key objectives of the Pre-Med program is to:
- Provide the students with the undergraduate level courses traditionally required for entry into North American medical schools.
- Subjects provide a solid foundation in those scientific and social sciences disciplines required for successful completion of a rigorous medical curriculum.
- Increase skills in writing, reading and critical and quantitative reasoning.
Clinical rotations can be pursued in affiliated hospitals in Guyana/USA/Philippines.
Texila American University takes pride in the students being admitted into it’s pre-medical programs. To ensure that quality in admissions is being maintained, a stringent checklist is followed while considering if the students are capable of handling rigorous courses and training. The students are expected to meet the eligibility standards in order take up a degree in medicine and to pursue their preferred program at Texila.
- A minimum of five (5) CXC/CSEC General Proficiency (Grades I & II; and III from 1998) /five (5) passes at GCE ‘O’ Level, including English Language, two science subjects including Biology, and Mathematics for the Pre-Medical Program
- Three (3) subjects at the GCE Advanced Level plus two (2) subjects at CXC/CSEC General Proficiency/GCE. Ordinary Level not obtained at Advanced Level. Two science subjects, English and Mathematics must be among the subjects obtained
- Two (2) subjects at the GCE Advanced Level plus three (3) subjects at CXC/CSEC General Proficiency/GCE Ordinary Level not obtained at Advanced Level. Two science subjects, English and Mathematics must be among the subjects obtained
The Student Counselors of Texila American University guides and supports the applicants throughout the entire admissions process. The prospective student is led to fill out the admissions form.
Submit Required Documents and Fee
Once the application form is filled, the student will be required to furnish certain documents. These include:
- Personal Statement
- Results of the Qualifying Exams (‘O’ and ‘A’ Level Certificates and Pre-med Certificates)
- Two statements of good moral character from the Principal, Registrar and Teachers of the previous institute
- One passport size (2”x2”) copy of latest picture
- MCAT Scores (if applicable)
Admission decisions are typically made within two to three weeks after the personal interview, and a little longer during holiday and semester breaks. Candidates will be notified in writing with one of the below possible outcomes:
Acceptance: The applicant is accepted for the desired entry term. Accepted students will receive a Welcome Kit with additional forms to complete as well as instructions for the next step. They will also be working directly with a designated Texila staff member who will assist them with the enrollment process.
Denial: When the applicant does not necessarily meet the minimum entrance qualifications. Applicants may once again appeal this decision in writing with additional supporting documentation for review.
Review Policies and Procedures
If the request to review the applicant’s form seems valid on the basis of their supporting documents, the applicant is contacted to further discuss the terms to proceed with.
PM 1 [Semester 1]
|Biology I||4 Credits||1 Credits||2 Credits||7 Credits|
|General Chemistry||7 Credits||1 Credits||4 Credits||12 Credits|
|Physics I||4 Credit||1 Credits||2 Credit||7 Credits|
|English – I||3 Credits||1 Credits||–||4 Credits|
|TOTAL||18 Credits||4 Credits||8 Credits||30 Credits|
PM 2 [Semester 2]
|Biology II||4 Credits||1 Credits||2 Credits||7 Credits|
|Organic Chemistry||7 Credits||1 Credits||4 Credits||12 Credits|
|Physics II||4 Credit||1 Credit||2 Credit||7 Credits|
|English II||3 Credits||1 Credits||–||4 Credits|
|TOTAL||18 Credits||4 Credits||8 Credits||30 Credits|
PM 3 [Semester 3]
|Introduction to Anatomy & Physiology||4 Credits||2 Credits||1 Credits||7 Credits|
|Medical Terminology||4 Credits||1 Credits||–||5 Credits|
|Statistics & Pre-Calculus||3 Credit||1 Credits||–||4 Credit|
|Introduction to Biochemistry||3 Credits||1 Credits||1 Credits||5 Credits|
|Communication skills||3 Credits||1 Credits||–||4 Credits|
|Spanish Medical Terminology||2 Credits||1 Credits||–||3 Credits|
|Psychology||2 Credits||–||–||2 Credits|
|TOTAL||21 Credits||7 Credits||2 Credits||30 Credits|
|GRAND TOTAL CREDITS (PM 1 + PM 2 + PM 3)||57 Credits||15 Credits||18 Credits||90 Credits|
Please provide details below and we will mail you the details for Tuition Fees and Scholarship along with a copy of the brochure.
Please provide details below and we will mail you the details for Tuition Fees and Scholarships.
Students to Texila American University (TAU) are selected on the basis of their academic, personal, and extracurricular abilities. Additionally, students must have the intellectual, physical, and emotional capacities to meet the requirements of a successful medical career.
TAU intends for its students to become competent and compassionate Doctors who are capable of meeting all requirements for medical responsibilities. TAU is committed to educating and training future leaders in medicine.
“I am a medical student at Texila and I like the University very much because the faculties are very good and well qualified. In short, Texila is the best with its quality of education.“
Ms. Abirami Saravanan,
Doctor of Medicine (M.D.)