Tired of Reading? Please listen to the blog
Texila American University’s College of Medicine (TAU-COM) hosted its 3rd International Conference on the 22nd and 23rd April 2021. The conference included four sessions, two sessions each day. The conference’s theme was “Non-Communicable Diseases in Caribbean Region: Mental Health and Road Traffic Accidents Current Scenario and Future Perspectives.” The focus of this year’s conference was on Mental Health and Road Traffic Accidents.
Globally, non-communicable diseases are a significant issue in the domain of public health. The same goes for the Caribbean region as well. This conference aims to create awareness among healthcare workers, consumers, and other stakeholders on non-communicable diseases.
The conference was conducted virtually over two days. It was filled with scientific sessions and poster presentations.
The 1st session of the conference started at 9.00 am on 22nd April 2021. It contained the welcome note, keynote address, inaugural address, and plenary presentations. This session opened the 2-day conference. It was followed by the second session started at 1.00 pm. The focus of the 2nd session was entirely on Mental Health. It contained a keynote address by experts, followed by a panel discussion and oral paper presentations.
Day 2 of the conference had two sessions, both with their keynote address by experts, panel discussion, and oral paper presentations. The 3rd session was on Mental Health-COVID 19, and it was started at 9.00 am on 23rd April 2021. The 4th session was started at 1.00 pm on 24th April 2021. This session laid focus on Road Traffic accidents.
The keynote speakers of the 3rd Virtual International Conference of TAU-COM are listed below.
- Raghu Raghavan, PhD, Professor of Mental Health, Director – Mary Seacole Research Centre, De Montfort University, United Kingdom.
- Davendranand Sharma, MBBS, FAME, DM, Professor of Behavioral Science and consultant psychiatrist, Texila American University College of Medicine, Guyana.
- Seeth Vivek, MD, DLFAPA, President of the New York State Psychiatric Association, Associate Dean – clinical, Ross School of Medicine, Forest Hills, New York.
- Ann Mitchell, PhD, MA, BSc (Hons), PG Dip Man, PG DiP Strat, Cert ED, CPN cert, RN, Lecturer in Mental Health Nursing, the Open University, UK.
- Matthias Helgen Schmidt, MD, Professor, and Research Director of Diagnostic Radiology Dalhousie University, Canada.
- Nadia Svirydzenka, PhD, FHEA, Senior Lecturer in Psychology, Deputy Director – Mary Seacole Research Centre, De Montfort University, UK.
- Util Richmond-Thomas, MBBS, MBA, Director-Mental Health Unit, Ministry of Public Health, Guyana.
- Ramesh Ashram, Traffic Chief, Guyana Police Service.
The organizing committee members of the Virtual International Conference are listed below.
- Mr. Saju Bhaskar, Founder & President, TAU (Chief Patron)
- Mrs. Chitra Lakshmi, Executive Vice President, TAU (Patron)
- Dr. Dheeraj Bansal, Dean, TAU COM (Organizing Chair)
- Dr. Jagan Nadipelly, Assistant Dean – Academic Affairs, TAU COM (Organizing Secretary)
- Mr. Sree Balakumar MA, Recruitment and Public Relations (Organizing Co-Secretary)
- Dr. Sooraj Surendranath, Assistant Dean – Student Affairs, TAU COM (Organizing Co-Secretary)
- Mr. Syam Kumar, Chief Executive Officer, TAU (Chief Advisor)
- Dr. Hugh Duckworth, Chief Academic Officer, TAU (Chief Advisor)
The guidelines for abstract submission and the template and guidelines for poster presentation were shared on the official website of Texila American University, along with important dates and the conference registration form for students and delegates.